Friday, October 23, 2009

Depressing Story Corrected by Joseph Smith

Thankfully, this depressing (and distressing!) story in the Bible was corrected by Joseph Smith:

KJV Genesis 19:5-10

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.

http://scriptures.lds.org/gen/19/5-10#5


JOSEPH SMITH TRANSLATION GENESIS 19: 9-15

9 And they said unto him, Stand back. And they were angry with him.
10 And they said among themselves, This one man came in to sojourn among us, and he will needs now make himself to be a judge; now we will deal worse with him than with them. 11 Wherefore they said unto the man, We will have the men, and thy daughters also; and we will do with them as seemeth us good.
12 Now this was after the wickedness of Sodom.
13 And Lot said, Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, plead with my brethren that I may not bring them out unto you; and ye shall not do unto them as seemeth good in your eyes;
14 For God will not justify his servant in this thing; wherefore, let me plead with my brethren, this once only, that unto these men ye do nothing, that they may have peace in my house; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
15 And they were angry with Lot and came near to break the door, but the angels of God, which were holy men, put forth their hand and pulled Lot into the house unto them, and shut the door.

2 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I so much love the JST: so much that doesn't make sense or gives us a less-than-glorious picture of God has been corrected to read as it was originally given, before human error and deliberate editing distorted God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still an awful story, but this is very comforting. It seemed so wrong that the father would offer his virgin daughters to those men. Good to know he didn't!

    ReplyDelete