Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gashing "Bad" Figs

Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit: Amos 7:14

"The word “gather” (Hebrew bawlas) only occurs here, and it means “to pinch sycomore figs” in order to ripen them. This is peculiar to sycomore figs. Normally, figs that don’t receive wasps just shrivel and fall off.

However, if sycomore figs are gashed or pierced at the right time – when the female flowers are in blossom – they will increase their size and weight 7-fold in only 3-4 days. They ripen well before their time.

In this I see the awesome love our Father has for all of His children. Even bad figs, if gashed, have the opportunity for salvation through Jesus Christ Whom also was pierced for us (Isaiah 53:5). In turn, He gashes bad figs with His Word (Revelation 1:16).

(Meyer, Allen R., Insects and Other Critters of the Bible, Bible-Student Resources, Claimont, Alberta, Canada, 1997, pg 48)


2 comments:

  1. Wow. Now that's a random puzzle piece. I'm amazed at the treasures you share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully I'll think of this next time I may be experiencing some "gashing." That way I'll better be able to thank God for ALL things. I want the positive end results.

    ReplyDelete