Thursday, March 26, 2009

Flakes of Fire


Everyone in my family and most of my friends know that I enjoy the challenge of trying to make sense of “weird scriptures”- meaning the seemingly strange, bewildering, or extremely boring. This is because I have learned that something good is always hidden there if I can just decode it.

Well, it looks like I am in good company. A big thanks to my son John who just sent me this quote from Elder Neal A. Maxwell:

"To be seen only by those who have eyes to see, ...flakes of fire are embedded in the holy scriptures. There, these transcending truths may appear in the midst of routine lineage history. They may be found within chronologies, genealogies, and duties, or may follow upon now dated economic data.

When encountered, their sudden richness is so breathtaking and light-intensive that, like radioactive materials, they must be handled with great care. They both light up the mind and infuse joy into the soul. (Alma 19:6.)"

YES. That is exactly how it feels.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of "flakes of fire," I miss Elder Neal A. Maxwell. He had that way of bringing out that "Divine Spark" in me.

    --
    Steven Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister just sent me your blog. Thank you so much for being willing to share. Sometimes it feels lonely out here and people just look at me like i am crazy when i get excited about scriptures.
    Happy in the Bluegrass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    I'm so happy that you like it. I lived in Tennessee for a while and I LOVE bluegrass music. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete