Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I Shall Not Want


When I was a child we repeated the 23rd Psalm in school every morning after the Pledge of Allegiance. Unfortunately, its meaning was never explained to the class. I understood much of it, but I thought the phrase, "I shall not want" meant that He was my shepherd whether I wanted him to be or not.

One wiser individual better understood the true intent of David's words when he wrote of the Shepherd:

I shall not want or lack...

...rest for He maketh me to lie down.
...refreshment for He leadeth me beside the still waters.
...restoration for He restoreth my soul.
...guidance for He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness.
...confidence for I will fear no evil.
...companionship for Thou art with me.
...comfort for Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.
...provision for Thou preparest a table.
...joy for my cup runneth over.
...anything in this life for goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.
...anything in eternity for I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

When we have a good shepherd, there is no need that goes unfilled.


1 comment: